Translate

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chinese New Year Eve!

IT IS CHINESE NEW YEAR EVE! WOOHOOO!!!

Really really excited for Chinese New Year this year! cos it's been 10 years since I actively participate in CNY. To me, it's just another 3 days of public holiday where most of the shops are closed and there's nowhere to go. I'll stay at home to read my storybooks or go and catch a movie or something.

That's how I spent CNY for the past 10 years. Sad hor? (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

Well.. come to think about it it's not really 10 years, maybe just 8 years cos the past 2 years weren't so bad, ever since I got together with Brendan. In 2012 I had an awesome CNY party at my old place. And last year I spent it with Le hubby's family, though they did not celebrate CNY cos Ah Mah passed away on 12-12-2012. 

He changed my Chinese New Year emo-mama mood into a happy one! (▰˘◡˘▰)

When I was much younger and when my grandma was still alive, I will help her out with the preparations for CNY because she stayed with us and all the relatives will come over to our house for visitation (which was good cos we don't have to go house hopping! Just stay at home and receive angbaos! Bwahahahahhaa!).

I will help her with the decorations, making little ornaments with red packets and tying colourful strings on her plants, pasting those cute wall decors on the walls with blue tack, helping her cook (well, mostly I just sit there and help her taste test).. It was really fun cos if you get to participate in the preparation, you will enjoy the occasion more! Well, that's my theory as a child.

Then on the eve of Chinese New Year we'll have a steamboat dinner together at home and my dad will give me and my siblings angbaos! My grandma will also give each of us an angbao that night! Then we will watch the CNY special program on channel 8, then go to Chinatown to squeeze with the crowds or go to the River Angbao to take pictures before heading to the temple at Joo Chiat after midnight to pray for good luck for the new year. Happy times...(‐^▽^‐)

Anyway, shit happened and I spent the past 10 years not celebrating CNY cos there's no one to celebrate with. I couldn't bring myself to join my friends cos I am so 'extra' in other people's family celebration. Also, I was envious that they had something I don't and I don't wanna bring my emo mood into their happy atmosphere.

Ok........... so now fast forward to 10 years later and this year will be my 1st year as Mrs Brendan Chew! Woohooo! I have a wonderful husband who loves me, and a family of my own! My parents-in-law are the best! And I also get along well with two sisters-in-law. 

(✿´‿`) Seems like I finally got my happily ever after ending! And this ending, which actually is a beginning of my new life turned out to be WAY MUCH BETTER than anything I imagined or dreamt of. It's like ordering a plain vanilla cupcake which never came and you kept thinking and asking what happened to that damn cupcake and why life is unfair that you don't get a cupcake when everyone around you have nice cakes.. just a simple cupcake! WHYYYYY!! Then 10 years later.. BAM! A very beautiful 10 tiered elaborate & exquisite cake is delivered to you. 

Ok, that's a stupid analogy and I don't think if it makes sense.. but basically, what I am trying to say is that God really is awesome and He has a plan for everyone. You may not know it now, but He has something wonderful & good in store for you. Have faith, have trust and just keep holding on!

Ok.. enough reminiscing about the past. It always happens! When I start, it becomes like word vomit and I can't stop and will ramble on and on and on.  

My happy family! 
ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ

Our reunion dinner!

Mama Chew didn't want steamboat dinner cos there were lots of leftovers last year (she bought too much food!!). And she's still into her Popiah craze so we had that and other dishes which are 'auspicious' for CNY. Like fish, weird veggie that looks like human hair.. (×_×;)

Yummy Yusheng that Cheryl bought! 

"Lou ah Lou ah Lou!"

Ended dinner with a huge tub of black sesame ice-cream. *burp*

Afterwards I messaged Nat and he asked what I had for dinner.. sent him a pic and he was like "WHAT? NO STEAMBOAT??!?!?! COME MY HOUSE NOW!!!". So in the end both Le hubby and I went to his house for another round of dinner! We waited like 1hr+ to try to digest the food we ate at home before heading over. LOL!

STEAMBOAT TIME!! (○`ε´○)/\(○`ε´○)

His sister bought Yusheng! WOOHOO! Round 2 Yusheng!

I aim to eat at least 12 Yushengs this year! BWAHAHAH!

Picture with his family! (๑>◡<๑)

He asked me to bring this huge cake home but I refused cos it's too big!!! Not sure what cake it is but he kept raving about it. I bet he'll find a way to sneak it into our house when he comes over for CNY visiting this weekend. (¬0¬)

No comments:

; //]]>