Translate

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mellben Seafood Reataurant

Brendan and Pamela came over in the morning to help me pack my stuff....

Pamela helped me packed all my toiletries and cosmetics into a box.. gave her my Body Shop collection as she is a huge Body Shop fan... but too bad she doesn't use makeup cos I have a lot which I don't use (Dolly wink lashes, etc).

Brendan packed my TV and my 3-in-1 scanner printer thingy so nicely with all the wires in the proper position, it looks like brand new packaging! If I were to pack it myself, I would have dump all the wires into a big plastic bag and worry about them later.

We met up with Cheryl, Brendan's other sister and we went to Mellben Seafood at Ang Mo Kio for crabs!

Based on the online reviews and raves by my other friends who have been there.. the crabs are "to die for". Well, you have "to queue like hell for" the crabs because the average waiting time is 2hours! Madness or what? But anyway, we really queued lah! The closing time is 11pm and they will close off the queue at 9pm so be there before 9pm!

We reached at 8.40pm and was only seated at 9.45pm.. Food came around 10.10pm. Less than the 1 hour expected waiting time as most of the diners have finished their meal and the kitchen is quite free by then. 

I think they deliberately make people wait to create the hype because Chinese seafood restaurants are supposed to be very efficient (I know because my dad owned a few before and the pace is super fast!)

They will take your order while you are in the queue but they will only process it when you are seated..

There's a lot of dishes which looked interesting but we chose the following....

Tofu in Mini Wok -- SUPER NICE!
The sauce taste like chilli crab sauce! Yummeh!

Yam Ring
3 types of crabs!

There were 4 of us but Cheryl don't eat crabs so it's just me, Brendan and Pamela.. That's 1 giant Sri Lanka crab per person!

Crab Bee Hoon
This is the star dish of the restaurant.. the soup is nice but the crab.. so-so.
We ordered extra serving of soup for SGD5, but don't bother cos the portion is quite big.

Black pepper crab
The sauce is.. not peppery enough. Too salty.

Butter Crab
We wanted Salted Egg but they don't have it.
This is the other alternative.. the sauce is quite nice.

All the dishes we ordered! That's Pam's hand on the bottom right. Haha!

Yummeh food! 

Pam was concentrating on her crabs and it's really cute to see her eat! LOL!

Achievement!

Total bill was around SGD210nett. There is no service charge but there is 7% GST. IMO opinion, the crabs are NOT worth the 2hours wait.. though we were all starving by the time we started eating so maybe at the point in time we were like "OOH! YUMMY!". Well, it is delicious, but for a coffee-shop setting and a long waiting time, paying over SGD200 for a few dishes is not really worth it.

Will I go back again? 

Depends on my mood and the queue.. but I believe there are more affordable and delicious crabs elsewhere in Singapore.

I am now craving the crabs in Batam. Though smaller, but it is super cheap and good! SGD200 can get me at least 2 dozens of mid-sized crabs there. Yums!

No comments:

; //]]>